A MELBOURNE schoolboy claims he could be the first Australian denied a visa to enter the United States following President Donald Trump’s controversial immigration ban.
Pouya Ghadirian, born and raised in Melbourne to Iranian parents, was in the process of applying for a non-immigrant tourist visa to attend a school camp in the US in late March.
When the 15-year-old arrived for an interview at Melbourne’s US Consulate on Monday morning the staff told him they weren’t completely sure what to do but had denied his visa on presidential orders.
“They said it was the first time it had happened in an Australian embassy,” he said.
The executive order, signed by President Trump on Friday, temporarily suspends citizens from Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Iran, Somalia, Libya and Yemen from entering the US for 90 days, regardless of whether they hold valid visas or not.
While the majority of Australians will still be able to enter the US, dual nationals of these seven countries like Pouya will not.
“They [the US Consulate] gave me no further instructions, but said realistically I won’t be going on the trip,” he said.
“I was really and upset when I found out that I couldn’t go and had been looking forward to it for around a year.
“I have an Australian citizenship. I was born here. It doesn’t make sense and it can’t be right.”
The year 11 Melbourne High student said his teachers don’t know he can’t attend the camp yet as school hasn’t started for the year.
The dream “space camp” was supposed to involve visits to Orlando, Washington, and the US Space & Rocket Center in Alabama.
The US Embassy has been contacted for comment. Source: news